Tenacious Tacos – Plant Based
This recipe is so simple. The most laborious part is going to the grocery store and getting a couple of items that you may not have as staples. Totally worth the trip. You will be able to make these babies every Tuesday going forward.
Ingredients for "The Meat" ::
1 cup unsalted walnuts (soaked)
1/3 cup diced yellow onion
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/3 + 1/4 cup water, divided
10 oz baby bella mushrooms, washed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ tablespoon tomato paste
½ tablespoon soy sauce / coconut aminos
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional, but recommended)
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
Salt & pepper to taste
Fresh lime juice as desired
For the shells ::
Cassava or Quinoa Tortillas (are my favorite) although sometimes I do some Siete chips and make a taco salad bowl !
Toppings & other Accoutrements ::
You can dress up your tacos how you see fit, here I list some good options ::
Forbidden rice or Bismati
Diced red onions
Cashew sour cream - I will share this recipe soon as well!
- Soak Walnuts for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Over medium heat, add onions garlic and ¼ cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, add water if and as necessary. You can also use oil, if you prefer.
- Combine walnuts and mushrooms in a food processor (rotating back and forth and adding in increments) and pulse into a “meaty texture”. Add to pan with garlic & onion & add in ALL other ingredients including the rest of the water. Cook to brown or about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Salt and Pepper to taste, lime juice and cilantro. If you prefer, lime juice and cilantro can be served on the side.
- Assemble tacos with desired taco shells and toppings.
- Smile and do a happy dance. Yum!